One year ago today, after much hemming and hawing, I got up the courage to publish my very first blog post. My blog had been up and running for quite a while, thanks to the Fabulous Kelly over at Fabulous K Creative, but I was too scared to actually use it. I'm always a bit timid about the unknown, and this was a very big and potentially very public unknown.
To be honest, I thought there was a very good chance blogging would be like so many other projects I've tackled....start strong, but by the time a month passes, only a distant memory.
I thought I'd celebrate this milestone by sharing ten things about myself that you don't know.
Or need to know.
Or even want to know.
Actually, I've secretly been hoping someone would send me one of those "tell five/ten/a million things about yourself" tags, but sadly, no one ever has.
Don't worry though, I'm not taking it personally.
Okay, here we go.
1. I can drive an excavator. Impressive, right? Now it's important to note that I said I can drive an excavator, not operate an excavator. Because there is a big difference. I can drive the beast from point A to point B without incident, however getting it to do what I want beyond that is futile. Picture your toddler trying to get that very first Cheerio into his mouth and that's pretty much what happens when I try to pick something up with the claw-bucket thing. It's highly entertaining, yet kind of pathetic at the same time.
2. I eat almonds hand over fist. If I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one food, almonds would be it. I buy them at Costco and eat many, many handfuls a day. I eat them raw, even though I prefer them toasted. Here's why. If I toast them, I like them better and will eat more of them. If I don't toast them, I still eat a lot, but not as many as I would if they were toasted.
Don't even pretend that doesn't make sense to you.
It makes perfect sense.
It does make sense, doesn't it?
Because now that I see it written out, maybe not so much.
3. I have plenty of clothes, but I wear this hooded sweatshirt almost every single day.
(My hair and makeup people have the day off, hence the headless picture.)
(Why is my neck so wrinkly?)
It's perfect. The perfect size, the perfect length, the perfect weight, and definitely the perfect color. Plus, it says "Sunshine" on the back. I love it so much I even wore it on the plane when I flew to meet Jen, despite the fact that it now has huge holes in it.
Did you notice, Jen? I was obviously not too worried about your first impression of me, and it was a lost cause anyway considering I'd spent twelve hours on planes, but I'm still kind of hoping you didn't notice my holey sweatshirt.
Please make this exact sweatshirt again. I will buy twenty of them.
4. When I put on a light switch or outlet cover, the slot on the screw absolutely has to be perfectly up and down or the earth will surely stop rotating on its axis.
5. The very first outing I went on with my future mother-in-law and sisters-in-law was a craft night at their church. The tables had candles on them, and while leaning over to do my craft, my bangs caught on fire. I kept seeing these little black ashes drifting before my eyes, but had no clue what it was until someone said they smelled hair burning.
Just the perfect first impression you want to make on the new in-laws, don't you think?
Wow, did I say ten things? I think I'm going with five, because I'm out. I'm sure I'll think of more over the next year, so maybe we'll make it an annual event, but for now, there's nothing but a snowstorm swirling around in my head....white and very blank.
I have to say, blogging over this past year has been so much more fun than I ever thought it would be. It truly is a special community we all belong to and I've really enjoyed all the new friends I've made.
If you've never commented here before and feel like giving a shout out, I'd really love to meet you. And if not, I totally understand....before I started blogging, I was the biggest lurker out there. I never commented. Ever.
Thanks for sticking with me and making my first year of blogging better than I ever dreamed. Ya'll are the best blog buddies a girl could have.