April 14, 2010

the list


On my list today....

1. Deal with ginormous pile of laundry. Be impressed that spell-check approves of the word ginormous.

2. Take junior to the dentist.

3. Ponder why Amish Friendship Bread doesn't kill you. Feel a small amount of pride that I made seven loaves of friendship bread this week - the one with the starter (a mixture of flour, sugar and milk, and maybe a secret ingredient that only the Amish know about) that you pass from one unsuspecting friend to another. Wonder if anyone can explain why something that contains dairy products, and sits at room temperature on your counter for ten days, something that you have to feed, which would indicate that it's alive, doesn't send you to the emergency room? Think about the fact that part of my starter came from my friend's starter, which came from someone else, and so on. Wonder just how old some of the molecules in that starter really are. Be a bit nervous about the whole starter process, but figure it's all okay because so far, there have been no signs of food poisoning.

So far.

4. Beg, plead, bribe, whatever it takes to ensure that my family remembers to water my newly planted seeds for the next seven days.


5. Vow to use better penmanship when writing on popsicle sticks with a Sharpie, just in case I decide to take a picture with said popsicle sticks prominently displayed for the internet world to see. Wonder why spell-check wants me to capitalize popsicle.

6. Marvel at the fact that rosemary plants bloom. Wonder why I did not know that rosemary plants bloom, since they have resided in my garden for years and years.


7. Say goodbye to my new batch of ladybugs.


8. Use the last tomato and chunk of cucumber for my current favorite lunch. A lunch inspired by the Costco sample lady who was peddling feta cheese in a 40 pound tub, and had the brilliant idea to mix the feta with cucumber, tomato and olive oil and put it in the tiniest paper cups I've ever seen. Mix my cucumber, tomato and feta with a blue cheese vinaigrette and put it atop a toasted Oroweat Sandwich Thin. Marvel at the fact that I did not spread the sandwich thin with cream cheese first.



9. Check the weather forecast for South Carolina and Georgia multiple times, and say a prayer of thanks that the sun will be shining and the air will be warm for the next seven days.

10. Call my sister and two nieces and discuss our mutual excitement regarding the fact that we leave tomorrow for a much anticipated and looked forward to girl getaway.

11. Continue to feel deeply ashamed of the fact that I spent valuable time...time that I will never, ever get back...taking pictures of my clothes.


12. Tell myself, once again, that just because I have a blog, and just because the clothes that I laid out on my floor in packing preparation suddenly reminded me of my old Seventeen magazines where they showed cutely arranged outfits for *trip to the beach* or *trip to the city*, that is absolutely no reason to spend my time, time that should be spent cleaning my house, arranging my clothes in an attempt to mimic magazines from the 80's.

13. Remind myself that my house is not going to clean itself, and also remind myself that when people say "you could eat off her floor", they are usually speaking about the cleanliness of "her" floor, not the fact that there are enough crumbs scattered about to feed a family of five.

14. Sweep my floors.

15. Pack my bag.

16. Think about the massive to-do list that awaits me upon my return from this little getaway.

17. Decide not to think about the massive to-do list that awaits me upon my return from this little getaway, and prepare to have the trip of a lifetime with some of my favorite girls on the planet.

50 comments:

  1. Friendship bread is amazing! Our neighbor brought me some of the bread, although she didn't bring me any of the starter. I've been begging her for some though! Ironically, (and terribly), our dog bit her her when she came over to the house to bring the bread. We weren't home, and the dog thought he was protecting our property. I'm just glad she still wants to be our friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #8 looks delicious? Is the blue cheese vinaigrette your own recipe? If so, you should post it sometime for all of us blue cheese fans!

    Have fun on your trip! You'll look fabulous and fun in those outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're coming to my neck of the woods! The weather has been beautiful for the last few days. Hope you have some fabulous girl time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got a good chuckle out of your post. Hope you have a very fun week,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my I love the lil recipe of feta, tomatos & cucumbers. Sounds right up my alley. I love maters & cucumbers. Might try it w/sundried tomato vingerette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, now you have me wondering too as to why popsicle should begin with a capital letter. I must type it on my blog and see what happens.. testing testing.. LOL

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal
    (HAVE FUN!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your thought process. Helps to free up more space for more thoughts now that you've got all these thoughts into type! Have a fun trip and come home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few thougts.... maybe "popsicle" is like Kleenex or Jello. Maybe it was the actual brand and we've just called it that for so long that we've forgotten. But then again we were too busy reading Seventeen Magazine, eating the jello and popsicles, looking at the cute clothes for the city... so we didn't really notice! And that Friendship bread is wonderful until you start to resent it's demanding needs... including the obligation to keep eating it when it's done! ha! Then one day you have to apologize and cut it loose, throwing the bag away with guilt, knowing it would produce many more baby loaves. And those crumbs on the floor are no worry, they're just a way to ensure that in the case of a famine, you always have a food source. Thanks for the laughs today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really enjoyed reading this post....and I loved Seventeen magazine, wayyyy back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Years ago I tried that friendship bread and after about two weeks I threw it out. It drove me crazy to have bowls of bread starter mush all over my kitchen! Have a great time on your vacation getaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Outfit #3 looks like it's already having a bit too much fun without you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. :) have fun! i like how you think out your hands - lets me know i am more normal than i thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so lucky! I would love to take a trip about now! And by the way...outfit #2 (in the middle) is totally me. Comfy, casual and cute! Can't wait to hear about your trip, we are considering Georgia this year, Tybee Island and Savannah to be exact. Have a wonderful time!

    Your lunch photo made me hungry...I'm off to figure out how to make my boring old turkey sandwich be not-so-boring today.

    Happy Traveling!
    ~mary~

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You are a "Chaos Comrade" in the making. That totally sounds like a to-do list of mine. Item 1. Look up the spelling of comrade so you don't sound like a dolt...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did NOT style your outfits into no-body mannequins! I love it. I especially love that one is "waving" and another has "her" hands in "her" pockets.

    Oh, and you have cute clothes.

    And I have a nearly-identical little green plate.

    And I will miss you.

    ps- Say hello to Andrew Pinkney for me! And eat some shrimp and grits for Cory.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me laughing all through this post! A good laugh was just what I needed for my "sick day". Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. giggl-g-giggling -- have a safe fun trip to warmer weather -- lucky you! And wishing it was me leaving to a warmer place --wink! O and by the way Cute clothes too...

    ReplyDelete
  19. girl trips are so much fun! love your cute outfits and thanks for sharing the feta recipe. have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. you crack me up. I love your blog:) Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your too funny! Have fun on your getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have fun on your trip!
    Hugs,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are such a hoot! Your list had me giggling and laughing.

    So glad you are able to get away with friends. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Girls vacations are the BEST!. As you dash down I-95 in Virginia, wave at me when you pass Exit 133 ... I'll be looking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have a wonderful time! Nothing like a girl getaway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was hilarious! I love the pictures of the clothes and the mental reminder about penmenship on popsicle sticks! Thanks for the laugh today and enjoy your vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I rooting (no pun intended) for the new little seedlings and praying the family remembers your task. Have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is some list girl! That sandwich looks so fresh and yummy. I hope you are having a wonderful time with your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1. I just made a batch of friendship bread. 2. I have always had bad penmanship when I write on small objects-especially popsicle sticks AND yes popsicle is underlined like there is something wrong with it. 3. I am neurotic about coming home to a mess-even when no one has been there-still have to deal with unpacking and laundry. AND 4. Love the sandwich. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have a glorious trip! And congrats on not using cream cheese on your lunch - a feat I have not yet mastered!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I found your blog through a recommendation given by 320 Sycamore. After reading this post, I'm hooked! Plus, I see you have some posts on recipes for rhubarb...I'm always looking for new ones since I have a rhubarb patch. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your post and the gorgeous photographs, especially the clothes. You are very creative and very funny. Hope you have a wonderful vacation and that both the family and the seedlings are thriving upon your return!

    ReplyDelete
  33. you never know when you may need your clothes photography skills for a future magazine assignment! i laughed at the poses but i think it's a cute idea...made ME smile. they do look like they're anticipating a VERY fun time! lol

    (found you via domestically speaking)
    judi ;)
    the1829farmhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. oops...found you via 312 sycamore (my bad!) anyhoo...glad i found you.

    judi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree with you on the Friendship Bread. When a friend gave me a starter a few summers ago, and I read what I had to add (repeatedly), I was thinking that I COULD NOT in good conscience, make it & bake it in the same household as my diabetic husband! Imagine my surprise when I woke one morning to find that the starter bag had split and drained all over my kitchen counter! Well, that took care of that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great list!!! I'm missing you already, knowing you are far from home. The clothes layed out like that flat cracked me up. Cute outfits!!! Can't wait to see the pics you come home with.

    ReplyDelete
  37. So many thoughts - this is my first time to your blog and I LOVE it! I'll be back for sure! Have a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am so happy to have found your beautiful blog! I shall be visiting often!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Have fun! The animated clothes make one smile so that's why you took time to take pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love those cuffed capris--can you share the brand on those or where you got them? I'm looking for a pair just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I too am wanting the blue cheese vinaigrette recipe. And could you please post where the darling outfits are from?
    Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love the outfit shots! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Don't even know how I came across your blog, but I love love love it. Love the farm, love the photos love it all.
    Okay about Friendship bread and starter. I was given the starter by a friend and thought it was so cute an idea. I pressed on with it for about two months and I had so much stinking Friendship bread in my freezer. I couldn't even give it away at that point. I had "friendshipped" every neighbor within a one block radius of mu home. I ended up throwing it away after that. Here's the kicker.........I want to try it again and I don't have the strter. HAHAHAHA. I need to go hit up some Amish person for the recipe I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  44. So, the pictures of the clothes....definitely should have included an enormous forty-pound camera bag!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I just discovered your blog and I am so glad that I did! Fairly new to the farm life, I am glad to find someone who has been through what I am now. It gives me hope.

    Friendship bread sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  46. That's a huge list that tends to resemble my own. I've also wondered what the deal is with that bread. Not to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the baked good, but I think it almost has a rotten smell. Not completely, just a little!
    Lila Ferraro
    Queen Bedroom Sets

    ReplyDelete
  47. The Blue Cheese Vinaigrette is from Litehouse, and it's a perfect mix with the veggies.
    As far as the crazy outfits.....in the first pic, the sweater is Merona, and the crops are Mossimo, both from Target. The flowered tank is Old Navy. Unfortunately, the rest of my wardrobe is from the closet archives ....J.Crew hoodie and Tommy Hilfiger capris from at least three years ago, and the last outfit is really old Gap and American Eagle. Except the flip-flops. Those are Keds from last season. Golly, now I really feel like a Seventeen magazine editor.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I have so missed your posts while I was away. Okay, maybe "while" I was away I didn't miss them - but I would have, had I been ANYWHERE but France!!! However, reading them now, I realize how much I love them~
    I am happy your trip was all you had hoped. I also am happy that those large, scary reptiles are there so that you won't be tempted to move so far away, seeing as you really aren't *that* far away now...
    Have a marvelous week my friend,
    xx

    ReplyDelete