November 15, 2009

the junk house - part three


It has been really fun to finally document the junk house remodel. I have been wanting to scrapbook the project, and have most of the supplies, but it is all in the craft supply black hole along with many of my other creative good intentions. Until now, all I've had to show people is a stack of pictures that I could never seem to find when I needed them. I'm glad to have other people enjoy the look back with me.

Lets head into the dining room.....


It has a great view of our front hayfield, but only had one window. One of our contractor friends traveled over for a long weekend, and he and my hubby added the bay addition. We built the wall along the kitchen, covered the rough beams with new trim, and bead boarded the walls and ceiling. The dining walls are my very favorite color, kind of a robins egg, aqua blue.



I have a lot of vintage china, but this is my favorite pattern. My mom found service for 12, plus all the serving pieces, many years ago. She has slowly been giving it to me, and it fits my house perfectly. Thanks, mom!


The stairs were one of the more interesting projects we tackled in the house. If you look closely at the top, the landing is two steps short of the hall, so when you got to the top, you either turned left, went up two steps into the front bedroom, or went the other way, up two, and down the hall. Dangerous nighttime bathroom trips!


Our contractor was able to come up with a great solution, and now I love the staircase.

Last, I'll take you down the hall to the scary bathroom. I don't have any pictures of the inside of the bathroom, and I'm pretty sure that's because the sink was actually behind the door, so you could only open the door half way (if that). The bathroom was painted a dark, bright blue and was very, very gross.


I can't tell you how much it bothers me that you can see my toilet in the after picture. I certainly could have put the sink on that side, but didn't think of it until all was done. When you are doing a project like this, the stupidest things keep you awake at night!

Just a few questions came up after the kitchen post. The first was what kind of material we used on the ceilings.
All the painted trim in our house is MDF material. If you are going to paint, it is so much nicer to work with because there are no knots or rough patches. We got it though our local lumberyard, but I know they sell it at Home Depot.
The trim paint in part of the house is a semi-gloss. We did all that painting ourselves, but when we did the second phase, we hired a painter and started using oil base paint. The difference is huge. The oil has a much smoother, nicer finish, but it is not fun to work with.
Last year, I visited a historic home that had dark walls, and gloss creamy white trim. It was gorgeous, and if I had seen that finish, I would have considered gloss for the trim as an option as well.

More Junk House to come.....stay tuned!

37 comments:

  1. Hello. I just discovered your blog this evening and I had to stop and tell you how much I am enjoying it! First of all, I admire the courage you had to pick up and move to a farm. I would love to do something like that! Your renovation is absolutely gorgeous! I love your sense of color. I have been reading through your archives and can't wait for new posts! Have a wonderful week! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing all the improvements to your house. Also love your sense of color - I have many of those McCoy pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. would you please post your tips about beadboard paneling? We are taking down wallpaper in the bathroom and getting ready to put up beadboard (6 feet tall/9foot ceilings)... appreciate any advice! Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am in LOVE with your "junk" house. Amazing and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly amazing transition! It's hard to believe that it's actually the SAME house!
    Your house is so lovely, thank you so much for sharing with us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The transformations are fabulous. I love your style. It sure doesn't look like the same house. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just can't call it junk house! Your home is dreamy. I love the colors and your style. :) It looks like a happy home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done such amazing work on your house, I just love the before and afters! What an awesome transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post literary took my breath away! I'm so happy I found your blog!! You are such and inspiration to me and my hubby and to this old farm house!!! simply beautiful!!_Sarahlynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're home is amazing, simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful home! I love all the colours you have used making it a really happy looking home ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sense of color is wonderful. I would be hesitant to jump in an use that robin's egg blue but you have done it beautifully. It just looks so warm and inviting. I like how bright it is too. We have long winter's in NH, as I'm sure you do too, so I need bright rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh....my.....goodness! LOVELY is all I can say about this transformation. Your color palette is so pastel and tasty I just can't get enough! I love all that you've done, and you're so talented at putting it all together.
    XOXO
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the cheeriest, most beautiful make over I've ever seen! I love these colors..it just looks so welcoming and homey! Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just have to tell you how much I love your home. You have a great eye and it definitely needs to be in "Country Living". It is such a happy home and I can't wait to see more. Thanks so much for sharing.

    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your house is too good to be in country Living, and besides, you aren't gay, so likely they wouldn't post it anyway. (Just sayin'). The only magazine good enough for your darling pics would have been Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion... a pity it's no longer in print! I love, love, la-aaa-uv your home. I also have much of the McCoy pottery you have, specifically the "Birds and cherries" pattern vase. I have a yellow one and a green one. Did you know they also made pink and white vases in the same pattern? You have such a knack for cheerful displays. Thanks so much for the hospitality in sharing your home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should be doing this for a living!!!!!! You have such vision, and your colors are incredible! I have decided once again, you are living in my housde! LOL It is wonderful to see someone take one of these sad farmhouses and make them so magical! I love coming to see what you have done next! Where do you find all of the wonderful vases and little pieces of pottery???? You hvae been shopping for years probably, huh????? Well, it all is perfect! Thanks again for sharing!!!!!! If you go to my blog, the little house in the banner is the one I hope to own and redo one day....it was my grandparents house....could I just pay you to come do it????? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, also could you email me the tips on the beadboard???? I am putting some of it in my kitchen redo....sanjos333@yahoo.com Thanks! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see why you enjoy pulling out all the old photos - what a transformation! Your home is so cozy and colorful, makes me what to move right in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a complete difference! Hardly seems like it could be the same space. I just found your blog, thanks to Mary Jane, so rushed right over. So very glad I did! It's so beautiful here I don't want to leave!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic house you have! If I could redo mine, I would just carbon copy everything you have done! Could you tell me what kind of china pattern you have that you said your mom gave you so much of? It's absolutely beautiful! What a cheery home to live in! Keep up the pictures of the house, I'm excited to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The china maker is Johnson Brothers, and the pattern is "JB18". Boring name for such pretty china. The number is not on the pieces, so if you are searching on Ebay, most people have it listed under Johnson Brothers Windsorware, or Johnson Bros Windsorware, which will bring up a lot of different patterns to wade through. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think AQUA was my first word and I am GREEN with envy!!! I love everything right down to the TOILET and I was too busy admiring the bird photos above it to worry haha!! You have done a beautiful job and I anxiously await more reveal!! If your house is junk...GIMME JUNK!!! Sue in Mich.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm a city girl to the core but 2 weeks ago my husband and I bought a 30 acre horse farm in the country with a house that is in dire need of updating. A friend emailed me the link to your blog and said, "You have GOT to see what she has done!" Wow! Wow! Wow! I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your "Junk House" posts. It is utterly FANTASTIC what you have done with your home! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is all so beautiful! You did a wonderful job!

    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  26. From beginning to end, just amazing. I consider myself a girl of vision but I'm not sure I would have had the courage to undertake what you did or to pull it off so beautifully. I am so enjoying this tour!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am entirely amazed. It is pure eye candy! Magazine-worthy, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful! Love your color choices. My kitchen is blue and white also! Would love to see more of your home. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't tell you how beautiful and fresh I find your home to be. Love the colors, the patterns the furnishings. I so enjoy your blog. We are thinking of adding beadboard to our dining room ceiling. Would you mind sharing your tips and tricks? kathyscottage@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Teresa
    Another fabulous post! I so can't wait to see your holiday decorations!!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  31. truly amazing. at first i thought your new room was an "inspiration" photo from a magazine! woweee!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love it! I'm so glad tidmom tweeted this, I can't wait to see more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is to die for... I found you following Tidy Mom! Wowsa!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I found you via tidymom. I love your blog, so happy and colorful and your home is truly beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I found you via Vintage Sassy and immediately feel in love with your kitchen. Please post paint colors. This is how I want mine. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  36. i must have missed the answer somewhere ... but what DID you use on your ceiling? is it simply bead board sheets? or something more ... official? like tongue and groove? i desperately want to "panel" our ceilings but am not sure the best cover for the least cost.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my goodness...Love what you've done with your house. Just found you via pinterest. Started following your blog! Lovely.

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete