December 13, 2009

firehouse chicken enchiladas

When I started this blog, I really thought I would post many more recipes than I have, but as it's winter, and dinner is usually ready after dark, and my family usually attacks the food before I can take pictures, it hasn't happened. Being the weekend, I was able to make dinner midday, so I thought I'd share.

My oldest spent two years as a resident firefighter while he went to college. Firehouses are famous for good food, and he did his fair share of cooking while there. These enchiladas are one of his creations, and they quickly edged out my old standby chicken enchilada recipe. That is probably due, in large part, to the block of cream cheese in the filling.


When I saw this photo, I was embarrassed by how big the sour cream dollop/blob looked, and tried to hide it with a sprig of cilantro in another photo. It ended up looking silly, so I ditched the cilantro and I am going to just proclaim my love of sour cream. I love it people, and I'm not ashamed!

Firehouse Enchiladas

Four chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I poach mine)
1 pkg chicken taco seasoning
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
chopped black olives
1 28oz can green chile enchilada sauce - must be green sauce!
shredded Mexican blend cheese - I use Costco's blend, but any combo will do
8 large flour tortillas

In a skillet, sprinkle the taco seasoning over the cooked and shredded chicken. Add recommended water and simmer about five minutes or so. Add the cream cheese and stir until melted and blended. We add chopped black olives as well, which I know isn't authentic, but I have a friend from Mexico, and she assures me that pretty much nothing I consider Mexican food is even close to the real stuff anyway.

Pour a layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Divide the chicken filling between the 8 tortillas, and sprinkle with cheese. Roll each tortilla, and place seam side down in the pan. Cover with remaining enchilada sauce and top with a ridiculous amount of shredded cheese.

Cook at 350* 35-45 minutes, until bubbly, or until it spills all over your oven, which happens pretty much every single time I make it. Top with an appropriate amount of sour cream, and in the name of all that is not authentically Mexican, enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. This recipe is great! I will be copying this and printing it to keep with my favorites. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making this. And I also love sour cream. My kids request plain spoonfuls of the stuff. Hey, it's dairy, right??!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all love it..can't do without it..I have given up putting butter on baked potatoes, but never with out sour cream! This looks so darn yummy..making it for dinner monday night..thank you so much! Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! Do you think it's okay if I make it for breakfast? Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I think I might have to run to the store today to get the ingredients. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing. :)

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making these for Christmas Eve...they look incredible! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, since Mexican food is my very favorite,
    this looks wonderful. I will be making it as
    soon as I get the ingredients....if it tastes
    just half as good as it looks, then YUMMY!!!!

    Changing the subject....I hope you are going
    to show pictures of your beautiful home decorated for the holidays!! (just a wee bit
    of a hint!) lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cream cheese covers a multitude of sins! Bring it on with all the sour cream you can. They look absolutely delicious!

    I know exactly what you mean about taking pictures of dinner...I have the same trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm making these this weekend, although I'm worried about finding the green sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUMMO...looks delicious. Gonna give it a try.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But the sour cream adds texture and contrast to your picture. LOL I learned of your blog through Creative Daisy. I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to have this one!!! YUMMY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!

    Have been reading through your blog & stumbled on this recipe. I know I'm posting a late comment, but my heart sank reading this particular post.

    You see, I'm originally from Texas - where Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas were created. And it just wouldn't be right not to pass along the recipe - especially given your love of all things sour cream.

    http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2009/10/sour-cream-chicken-enchiladas-recipe.html

    While it's not my recipe to claim, I have made it multiple times & no matter where I am in the world (currently Korea) I'm immediately transported back home.

    Really enjoying reading through your blog.

    Much love from an overseas Army wife,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cooking, this would be a good breakfast meal. I will try to do this at home at let my husband taste it. Thanks for sharing. I will browse some of the topics here.
    ____
    Gratitude is the sign of noble souls. - Aesop
    San Francisco SEO|Seattle SEO|Seattle Real Estate

    ReplyDelete
  16. My oldest spent two years as a resident firefighter while he went to college. Firehouses are famous for good food, and he did his fair share of cooking while there. pakistani silk suits online , 2 piece lawn suit online These enchiladas are one of his creations, and they quickly edged out my old standby chicken enchilada recipe. That is probably due, in large part, to the block of cream cheese in the filling.

    ReplyDelete